Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2007, 02:05 AM

Default 25NL: Blocking bet worked!!! Whoo Hoo!!!

First hand posted here... so be gentle.

I've seen several threads and read a lot of references to pot control bets and blocking bets. Didn't have a good understanding of what they were until reading NLTAP recently.

This situation came up, and I saw the opportunity. I'll step through my thoughts on the hand and I would invite comments. Was I on to something or on something?

I sat down to start the session with $5 minimum buy-in, and I've been working on playing short-stacked. So, I'm usually shoving pre-flop or river.

UTG was 22/22 over 45 hands (!!!) Table is generally tight.

Poker Stars
No Limit Hold'em Cash Game
$0.10/$0.25 Blinds
Poker Stars
No Limit Hold'em Cash Game
$0.10/$0.25 Blinds
6 Players
Lego Poker Hand Converter

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
SB: $25.85
BB: $63.35
<font color="black">UTG: $29.25</font>
MP: $13.35
<font color="green">Hero (CO): $11.15</font>
BTN: $40.30

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($0.35, 6 Players)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $1</font>, MP folds, Hero calls $1, 3 folds

Pre-Flop: Up to this point in the game I would have folded. When UTG raised, this seemed like a decent chance to see the flop, especially since I had position. I called, ready to toss if I missed the flop.

<font color="black">Flop:</font> 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($2.35, 2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets $1</font>, Hero calls $1

Flop: With this board, the $1 seemed like a c-bet. With his PF range, it also seemed likely he could have missed the flop. I also had in my mind that he could be slow-playing TP, because this was the point where i would have either shoved or folded.

<font color="black">Turn:</font> 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($4.35, 2 Players)
UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $1</font>, UTG calls $1

Turn: If UTG comes over the top I fold and still have 9 behind. His call at that point showed me weakness.

<font color="black">River:</font> 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($6.35, 2 Players)
UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $4.75</font>, UTG folds

The blank on the river, combined with the check, convinced me to make the large river bet.

Pot Size: $6.35 ($0.30 Rake)

Notes: I'd watched UTG raise literally every time he entered the pot. I also knew that my short-stack play up to that point would have convinced him that I had at least an A, and the river bet sold the story.

Re-reading this post, I also think UTG misplayed his hand badly, giving me the chance to steal the pot.