Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Police chase hypothetical

I witnessed my first police chase yesterday. In LA, of course. But it brings up a "what would you do" question.

It's 4 lanes going your direction + 2 turning lanes. I'm approaching a stop light in lane 4 (the far right lane) behind two other cars. Each of the other lanes has 1 car in it stopped at the light.

I hear a police siren behind me. I look in the mirror and I see a cop speeding along. I also see a car about 1/8th a mile in front of him, seemingly being chased by the cop. The perp slams on his brakes and is forced to stop behind the line of cars at the stop light. He starts honking his horn. The cop car approaches the perp, sirens and lights still blazing. Cop stops.

What would you do if you were the cars at the stop light?

In this situation, all the cars at the stop light drove into the intersection and got out of the way. Perp continued driving, followed by the cop.

Things to consider:

1) The "perp" could have been an undercover cop. It had no lights or sirens, but you never know.

2) Do you really want to get involved in a potential gun battle between a perp and a cop? If the perp car is so intent on running away from the cops, you can guess that he might not leave his car willingly. And since it's only one cop car, perp might have thought he had a chance in a gun fight.

3) Do you want to do your civic duty and stay where you are (even if the light turns green) to prevent the perp from getting away?