Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2007, 04:35 AM

Default John Edwards and Cancer

Until today I hadn't heard much of him outside of Ann Coulter's bad attempt at humor/slander.

Let me preface a question by saying that I have lost loved ones to cancer and have myself dealt with the disease.

How does this announcement and his intent to stay in the race impact your thoughts on his campaign/person (if they impact your thoughts at all)?

Though I think that it's a very stiring story and wish Mrs. Edwards the best (which sadly may just be leading an active life until she can die with dignity and peace) I find the concept of running for anything while someone that close to you is dying pretty shocking. I know she is hardly on her deathbed at this moment and that treatment could extend her lifespan to... who knows... but the point is that running for the most challenging office in the world (in an election year where the campaigns are likely to be pretty heated) is a full time job; as is perhaps being with someone that you love during such a time.

Im curious as to other peoples opinions on this issue. I dont know if Im way out there on this or if even in a person's evaluation of a candidate this is something of a third rail. I am not saying that he's some horrible monster for this... just that Im glad he's not a member of my family. [I did not intend to vote for him regardless in the primary or main election... unless it was him vs mitt romney at which point I feel as though Canada is the obvious choice]

Again, best of luck to Mrs. Edwards and anyone else dealing with this terrible disease.