Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Salaried job for 1-2 years with benefits - any suggestions?

My situation: Finishing current grad school stint with a Masters in biology. Moving out west to be closer to my gf. Taking a year or two off before going back to school (hopefully) and need to get a decent job for the interim. I would like a job that has benefits but won't rope me into a contract any longer than a year contract. Obviously the more pay the better but I am more concerned with getting benefits than a small salary increase. Here are the ideas I've had:

-Teaching: With a Masters in bio, I think my options are fairly limited. I won't be able to teach at a regular university and I don't think I'll be able to work at a normal public school either. I guess it's possible that I'll be able to work in a private school but they are probably looking for people for > 1 year. That leaves the community college, which would be my top choice but so far I haven't seen any openings for a biology teacher there.

-Admin/staff work at a university - I know a few people who have done this and it seems pretty good. Regular 9-5 type job, the pay isn't great but it has benefits and they seem to hire people on a fairly temporary basis. Both this and teaching both come with some college gym benefits.

Anyone have any other good suggestions? I'm sure I could lie about only being around for 1-2 years but I would be more comfortable with my employer knowing the situation.