Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2007, 04:51 AM

Default Does anyone understand this play?

The tourney is a live multitable satellite where the top 10% of the field receives entries into an upcoming $10,000 event.

Very aggressive player gets moved to my table. He and I have butted heads in previous tournaments, and my image of him is that he's nothing more than a bully who overplays many hands to try to force his opponents to fold.... which is all the more reason why I find his play on this hand so odd. Could the good folks here try to help me understand my opponent's thought process in this situation?

Blinds are T300/T600 with antes of T75.

Average stack is about T14,000.

I have T26,000, and villain has T15,000.

I am in the cutoff. Folded to me, and I raise to T2,000 with Qd Td. Villain is in the large blind, and calls.

Flop is T 8 6 rainbow.

Villain leads out for T2,500. I think for about 20 seconds, and raise all-in. He insta-calls.

He turns over A 8 offsuit.

The reason I am so baffled is because if I simply raise, and he re-raises all-in, he probably can get me off the hand. However, I already am all-in.... so getting me to fold now is kinda difficult, right?

While it might sound like a dumb question, I seriously am trying to comprehend how someone can make this call for their tournament life.

Analysis is much appreciated.

TK