Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-2007, 07:17 PM

Default Raising blind? (slightly long)

In an NL home game I play there is one player who likes to put in raises before cards have been dealt. He thinks it is "creative" but I think it is just dumb (that's another discussion, though lol). He might do this from any position so is it considered a straddle if he does it from middle or even late position?

#1 I am wondering about the legality of it. And, if he is allowed to do it, I just have a few questions about the mechanics of it so I know how to adapt.

Let's say he raises blind from middle position and I am dealt AA UTG. If I want to play must I put in the amount of his raise (then everyone else can also call and I'm forced to take AA into a 5 way pot), or since it is technically not his action yet, can I limp for the price of BB, then it gets around to his action, his raise comes into play and then I can reraise when it comes back to me? Or, since he declared a "raise" can I raise first, and then he is forced to at a minimum double my raise even though his intention was to put in 4BB? Finally, if I move in UTG, is he forced to play since he declared his action, or can he fold his 4BB and that's just dead money in the pot?

Like I said I think it is really stupid of him to do this, so I'm not really looking for an excuse to make him stop. I just want to understand it so I can better exploit this practice.

Thanks