Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-07-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Friends \"concerned\"

Searched for this topic but couldn't find anything. I feel like it isn't that uncommon...

In the past few days, my friends have expressed their "concern" with me playing "so much" online poker. I'm 22 and I am a co-op student (that means I work for certain school terms instead of attending classes and I graduate a year later - though I take the same number of classes). This quarter I'm working, so I usually come home, eat dinner, play poker from probably 7:00p-12:00p and go to bed at about 12:30. I'd say every week (in addition to working) I'm playing 30-40 hrs. of poker. This is about the same amount (or a little less) than I play when I'm taking classes, but now when I come home from work I'm generally not in the mood to go out to bars or other social activities, and I generally just like to stay home and veg out because I'm tired.

I have (albeit rarely) told my friends that I couldn't hang out with them because I had to play a poker tournament, but I can name almost every time - once for the sunday mil., once for a PCA qualifier, once for a WSOP qualifier...

I realize my responses will be quite bias, but who is erring here? It could be a little of both - my poker playing may be excessive but they are probably overly sensitive. Additionally, because whenever they see me at home I'm generally playing poker, that may drastically affect the situation.

Any thoughts? Similar experiences?

Thanks.