Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2007, 04:49 PM

Default not a PLO player, but play as one in a mixed game....advice

I started playing in a mixed $1-3 (10hand each) PLHE/PLO full ring game. In the Hold'em round its real Loose/Aggressive with normal raises 5-10X the big blind with 4-5 callers seeing the flop... lots of big stackes just keep firing away trying to take the pot with aggression/ and loose passives trying to flop 2 pair or better. (its a great game, I do good) BUT... these players play the Omaha round exactly the same way but way looser/ and more aggressive.. lots of re-raises pre flop action.

There are these Big stack PLO players that come to this game just for the PLO so they dominate it with raises, rarely fold preflop, and just kill the Hold em players) I read Ciaffone's book and the chapter in SS2 and know the basics on starting hands and reading the board in PLO. (I know how not to get trapped with second nuts/ drawing to a loser etc.) When we get to the PLO round I tighten up considerable and wait for good starting hands Ciaffone pointed out, since I'm new to the game. I HATE THIS, I rarely get a "good" starting hand so I usually see the flop maybe 3-5 times an hour (every pot is raised so no Big blind special) and rarely flop anything worth playing for the raises that keep coming my way... I really want to get in there and mix it up due to the amount of money going everywhere (someone always busts and rebuys during the PLO rounds). But these PLO players they really get in there and play it- they push huge raises and win with a small T high flush against some donks 2 pair/trips... and they never really lose a big hand either... They just have a feel for the game, they know when they're ahead and when they're not... but still they aren't winning with the absolute nuts and their hands IMO can and are losers...

My question is: I'm I playing to tight against this type of game? I am willing to call raises and reraises with all the Text book PLO hands except maybe small run downs and small pairs/with connectors. And when I'm in the flop I'm not passive if I catch a good safe piece I play it (play the draw)... but flops that actually connect to me---- very few and far between, so with no chance of making any sort of hand I let it go
SO like in Hold EM and the textbook "STARTING HAND REQUIREMENTS" do I loosen up against really loose aggressive players? I don't have the playing experience that you guys have when it comes to PLO so I ask you...Is tight right in this game?