Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Ancient Technology

[ QUOTE ]
It would wipe out all life, or at least 99% of it. If a disaster like this happened today and only a few people were left on earth could you recreate this technology? Or would you be concerned with survival and be living a more primitive life. Wouldnt this technology be lost for thousands of years until someone rediscovers it. It would be passed down through stories and the stories would changed over many generations. If this disaster happens today and thousands of years from now someone reinvents this technology wouldnt a story of us having it sound unlikely?

Again i dont know much about this, i just read a little and thought it was very interesting.I just wanted to bring it up and see what others thought. It could very well be highly unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd have to postulate that their technology was so advanced that we wouldn't be able to recognize it as technology in the first place.

The problem (for your scenario) is that we have lots of archological evidence of simple technology from these civilizations but nothing remotely suggesting that they had technology even close to ours (let alone more advanced). The idea that they had simple technology and super complex technology, but nothing in between is implausible beyond reason.

In the case of the Pyramids, we have examples of early failures followed my moderate to total sucesses spanning over several hundred years. Remember, these projects were the single most important thing for the entire civilization. A huge fraction of their surplus labour and thought went into these for hundreds of years. The fact it's hard for an individual to figure out the best way to put a 10 tonne block on top of a pyramid with minimal technology means squat. The Egyptians would have had their best minds working on the problem around the clock for generations.

Think for a moment about what our best minds have done in the same time frame and see if you still think what they did suggests they might have had superior technology.