Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-2007, 12:26 AM

Default How do you interpret this tell? (long)

This is long, so read at your own peril [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Setup:

Tourney has fast-moving blinds, so only aggro play survives long-term.

Earlier in the game I went after a player who was bullying from position. Call this villian "Cowboy". He was calling raises from position, floating the flop and then betting/raising the turn. He had done it enough to rule out him actually having hands and the pattern was the same each time. I had the big stack on the table, a fairly TAG image for the time I had been at this table, pocket 77 in MP and raised 3x BB. Cowboy called. I c-bet the flop 2/3 of pot on a 10-high board. Cowboy called. Turn was a K. I figured if the 10 didn't scare him the K probably would. I also had a bigger stack and he was in fine shape if he folded there. I pushed all-in. Since I have a shaky hands tell, I sometimes fake it and decided to fake here. Cowboy commented on the shaky hands and folded...later found out he had pocket 8s.

During the first break, I overheard some guys from the other end of the table talking about my shaky hands. One was adamant that it was a false tell (guess I still need some work). Villian #2, "POW/MIA" (because of his hat) was not involved in the conversation, but he was close enough to hear it.

After the break, villian #3 goes on a stealing spree similar to cowboy. He was simply min-raising unopened pots preflop and then trying to outplay his oponents on the flop/turn. After 3 hands in a row of him doing this I look down at A7 in the BB. Not a monster, but stronger than a lot of the range I put him on. I considered reraising, but didn't want to make this a monster pot and decided to see what the flop brought.

The flop was 10-7-3 rainbow. A pretty good flop for me. Blinds were 200/400 and my stack before the hand was ~6K. Pot has 3200 in it. I bet out 2000. POW/MIA started out the hand with 5300 chips, so he's pot-committed if he decides to play. He pushes all-in. I contemplate a call and then he says:

"Any pair beats me right now...maybe" suggesting he has OESD. I've read Caro and I know weak means strong and strong means weak, but this guy also probably knows I've read Caro based on the earlier fake tell. Is he fake-telling back at me?

How do I best interpret his chatter here? I'm more interested in the reasoning behind the answer, since I obviously know what happened already.

BTW, I finished 5th after AA got cracked by QQ and got 4x my buy-in. Chump change compared to what I thought I would get, but hey, AA can kill ya.