50 - 60% 5 6.67%
60 - 70% 2 2.67%
70 - 80% 6 8.00%
80 - 90% 6 8.00%
90 - 100% 2 2.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Al Gores a Hypocrite (Obviously)

[ QUOTE ]
It appears (although I didnt read the link) that Gore founded a company that helps the environment, dealing with the purchase of carbon offsets, and he is using that company. It is frequently said that we can have econonmic growth and a sane enviromental policy. I see nothing hypocritical there.

Gore drives a hybrid and uses green power in his home. When he needs to, he purchases carbon offsets (which is used to plant trees, preserve rain forest, etc.) so that his carbon footprint is neutral. Seems in line with what an environmental activist would do.

Gore flies commercially whenever he can, but sometimes uses a private jet. His electric bill is high. Maybe he does waste some here. He has home offices and security staff and does the offsets, but maybe he could cut back. Nobody's perfect, right? It seems like he is trying to follow something of a middle road here.

Gore is by far the most popular candidate, albeit "hypothetical", among the "netroots" (Daily Kos polls, for example). He opposed the war, and has been a very direct, harsh, and aggressive critic of a very unpopular administration and its policies. He just won an Oscar for an influential documentary. He got more votes than his opponent when he ran for President. Perhaps some of this criticism is based on the fear that the right wing has of Gore and of a potential Gore candidacy in 2008.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, more simply, it is because he is a hypocrit, and what is more fun than poking fun at a hypocritical politician windbag (and yes, I see the redundancy in my statement). Oh, wait, poking fun at hypocritical hollywood-types is right up there, too.

NCAces