Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2007, 05:14 AM

Default Held Me Play Aces Better

I'm at a measly 1/2 No Limit game. I have $450 but only because I've just doubled up on a flush, so I've basically bought in for $400. Anyways the very next hand after I get my Ace high flush for about $200 where I was the favorite the whole way, I pick up Aces UTG.

I raise to $25 to size my preflop raise according to the strength of my hand like your supposed to do every once in a while according to Sklansky in NLHETP. I get 3 callers. My friend has pokcet 10s, a guy with about $800 who has been sucking out on me all night long calls with 55, and another guy with about $200 calls with 66.

After all the limps the pot is $125 total. Comes 8-5-4 with 2 spades. I overbet to $150. Guy with pokcet 5s who has been bustin me all night on draws or rivering me for full houses goes all in over the top of me for my whole stack. The guy with 66 says he feels like gambling so he says he calls. I mean if I'm right just once I'm about to have a stack of money over a grand. Needless to say I don't hit [censored], and lose to a set of fives for all my money.

Obviously I can see I was way too attached to Aces here. My friend and I talked about it afterwards and determined that I crushed myself by overbetting the pot on the flop, becasue I almost totally committed myself at that point based on the stack that I had left and what I had already put in. What made it sick was the fact that I figured I was beat. At best I was hoping he had a 4 flush and was getting em all in on that, but I should have seen through that. My friend said I should have bet about 75 to see where I stand so that I could get away from it, but any draw would call it, and these people are too dumb to realize how wrong it is to call draws based on odds and stuff so I felt like I needed to end the draws right there.

But at the same time, I can't fold just fold to an all in every time I don't flop a set with my aces can I and somebody represents a set, because they can bluff a set on me more often can't they? I mean granted the guy had to have known what I had, but what if people start pushing all in representing a set every time they know I've got aces. How often do I have to fold or call their bs down to be profitable? I know a lot of this depends on their stacks and all, and it's pretty hypothetical and all, but I'd like advise as to how to play ACes better, and for some advise as to when it's good to get away from them. What would you have done differently?