Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2007, 02:37 AM

Default Beat: People think I\'m a Bum. BBV, help me Brag?

This is probably the wrong forum because I'm looking for some serious advice, but whatev.

I never know what to tell people when they ask me about school/my job. I try to be modest, but that usually just makes me sound like a bum. Like two days ago I meet a friend of a friend, and we have this convo:

Him: So, what do you study?
Me: I studied philosophy. I don't do school anymore though.
Him: You finished?
Me: I kinda retired from school. It's not for me.
Him: Oh. So what do you do?
Me: I play poker.
Him: Oh, cool. (Obviously thinks I'm a degen and trying to make me feel comfortable) Yeah I know a guy who made $21k his senior year playing poker, so you can make a decent living off of that.
Me (who made $21k before breakfast): Yeah.

The next day another guy and I have a similar conversation where he doesn't understand when I tell him I don't do school anymore for a while and then once he does assures me that I'll figure stuff out. He also knew a guy that made $10k in a week!

I don't really like to talk about poker to non-poker players, and I don't wanna just tell them that I'm rich. I don't really care that people don't know how much money I make, but I don't like when they look down on me like I'm homeless.

What should I say when people ask about school/work?

I perform with a professional improv company every week, and I have articles published in Bluff Magazine, although I don't really make any money from those. Should I just say that I'm a writer/actor?

Should I just get a baller watch and let it speak for me?

What do I say when people tell me about how much money someone they know has made? What about when they ask me the most I've ever won or lost? I usually say that I'd rather not tell them.

Help BBV!