Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Probable cause/Reasonable suspicion?

I am currently a college student living in a dorm. Last night me and my buddy were trying to bring alcohol into the residence hall. I had a big leather purse type thing with a handle of vodka and of a 5th of captain in it, and he had a backpack which contained a 12 pack. I am 19 and he is 20, and hence are underage to possess alcohol.

Normally when entering the hall late at night there is a student resident on duty, who asks for your student ID and hall entry card, but last night there was a cop there. In the "purse" I was carrying you could see a little bit of a brown paper bag. She asked me what was in the back and I dumbly responded "nothing", and she then asked my buddy what was in the backpack and he told her the outright truth, after which I of course told her about what I was carrying. She then gave us the "choice" of being arrested or going to the bathroom to dump it out in front of her partner. We of course dumped the alcohol out (took like 2 minutes to dump out the vodka, what a shame) and then we were on our way (after she tried to coax me into admitting buying the alcohol with a fake I.D. of course, which I didn't even do).

Now I am not asking you if you condone underage drinking, because honestly a whole lot of drinking goes on at college and in the dorms and the point is irrelivent in this situation. I do however realize that once I saw the cops inside the building I should have turned back with my bud and either stashed it in his car for the night, or simply killed some time until the cops were no longer checking people in.

What I am wondering though, is if the brown paper bag was not visible from the purse I was carrying, what are the chances of me and my buddy being able to get the alcohol upstairs? I know that I can refuse to awnser the police questions, but also if they have probably cause and reasonable suspicion I am screwed anyhow because they will search my bag. So is simply walking into a dorm at midnight carrying a purse while your buddy has a backpack on reasonable suspicion or probably case? I would like to think that it wouldn't be, but I also have a very hard time imagining me saying a line like "I am kind of in a hurry and don't really have time to answer your questions right now, am I free to go?" work when responding to "whats in the bag".

So do any of you beleive I had any actual chance, given the situation, of successfully getting past the cops with my alcohol? And if so, what responses and actions would have given me the best chance?