Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-16-2007, 12:42 AM

Default Re: DN\'s momma needs a spliff

[ QUOTE ]
I think people are trying to make this out to be some overly-PC mountain out of a molehill situation by emphasizing the race aspect. You can completely ignore the racial aspects and still find a great many things Daniel does as being extremely stupid and tasteless. An example is how he behaves to people (Rogan, Gordon, Raymer) - he has such righteous indignation over the slightest of things that only he sees the insult in, yet his usual double-standard means he can be vicious (Gordon, Raymer) or accuse others of being insensitive (Rogan) while indulging in such behavior at a much more undeniable level.

Hate to say it, but he reminds me of those Christian Ministers you see on TV that preach how to behave and what is right and wrong, but don't observe those things themselves (until they are caught, and then give a weepy "I have sinned Father" response for the camera). It's not the *potential* racism (which I don't think he is, just real ignorance and lack of education that allows racist-seeming behavior) that is troublesome, it is the hypocrisy in Daniel's behavior coupled with yet another set of excuses and rationalizations ("Honestly, I never thought for a second that ANYONE would be offended in the least when I did it. Not one." - Yet someone made the brilliant point that his story is now that he had private screenings for his Black and Jamaican friends, which I never believed anyway) that he shouldn't be allowed to get away with, at least in the public perception. I'm just glad (and not surprised in the least, though it took longer than I thought) that the TV-driven perception of Daniel as some guy everyone loves in the poker world (it is no surprise that he isn't a part of the FTP consortium), who is such a level-headed Christian (really just your typical preachy and hypocritical Christian), and who is worldly and smart (playing a game well not equal to college, sorry) is unraveling by his own hand. And it has nothing to do with a video being racist or not, just stupid is enough to enforce the point.

BTW, didn't Daniel just have some kind of revelation with God about his recent behavior? Does he really think he treated Gordon like a Christian should? He is exactly the kind of two-faced religious bible-banger that makes agnostics very weary.

[/ QUOTE ]
This post makes some good points.