Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Re: I\'m and Atheist and Believe in Predeterminism: Prove Me Wrong

Ok, you say you are an atheist and believe in predeterminism, and then ask us to prove you wrong.

You then provide an example that uses an omnipotent being, capable of knowing the location and forces acting upon every particle in the universe. You then remove the omnipotent being and suggest that the predetermined path for each particle would still theoretically exist.

Well, it seems to me I can prove you wrong about either your being an atheist, or about the predetermined paths for the particles.

Your system initially requires the omnipotent being to determine the paths and forces of the particles. You use the omnipotent being to establish the basis of your example. Without the omnipotent being, we cannot know that the particles locations and forces have all been determined. So your system requires an omnipotent being and forces you to be a theist, and thus you are not an atheist.

Or you remove the omnipotent being completely from the example, in order to satisfy the conditions of being an atheist. But then we cannot assume the paths or forces of the particles are predetermined.

Which is it? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]