Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2007, 04:03 PM

Default I have a business idea...

I recently completed Dan Harrington's second book on hold 'em. One of the things I really like about his books is that he does an excellent job of taking you through each step of a hand (pre-flop, flop, etc) while giving you his reasoning for playing the hand a certain way by taking into account table dynamics, player styles, pot odds, etc.

I work for a company in Missouri that builds computer and web-based training applications for companies. Firms hire us to create online training for their employees rather than sending them to classroom-based training. The solutions we've created include things like HR training, sales training, system training, technical training, etc. Essentially, we can create web-based training for anyone as long as we understand their audience and objectives.

At any rate, since I am in that business, have a genuine love for poker, and just completed Harrington's books it got me to thinking about how I could combine my knowledge of those types of training solutions with the expert knowledge that exists in those books (and ones like them). My idea is to create a web-based training application that would allow a beginner to play through thousands of practice hands just as they are done in the book. However, my solution would have several stages. The first stage would play out generally the way the book does. You're given a specific hand and table position. You're given instruction on whether or not to play the hand (and call, raise) and then you're given reasons as to why that decision was made. Then the flop comes and the same thing occurs. At each step you get more instruction, just like the book. The following stages would gradually put you into a position where you're making your own decisions and playing through the hand. Following that more complex scenarios and time constraints would be added. Unlike in a book, this type of solution would enable players to role-play thousands of hands until they were comfortable at each stage of the training.

I have thought about this in great detail and really feel like this would be in high demand if done well.

All I need now is the subject matter expertise to create the solution. I like poker and play a lot but I'm by no means an expert. I need a professional that would be willing to help create the scenarios and feedback. I am also interested in potential investors for the solution.

If someone is interested in this concept please let me know.

Regards,

Derek