Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2007, 09:06 PM

Default Short run edge?

Hello,

I have a couple of questions for you guys if that’s ok.

1. Which poker variant (NLHE, Limit HE, Stud…) involves more skill than luck – where skill (information available, EV, bet sizing, odds…) can be a big advantage against less skillful opponents/short run luck??

2. Ed Miller (poker writer) wrote [he was talking about small stakes-tight game vs. big stakes-all four betting rounds game]:
"... Take Ned, a player with only one month's experience. Ned can walk into the Bellagio poker room, sit in a $10-$20 blind no limit game with players who have won hundreds of thousands of dollars on tv, buy-in for $600 (the minimum), and expect to be a winner... In limit hold'em, the analog could never happen. If Ned were to sit in the $80-$160 limit game at the Bellagio and buy-in for the minimum, he should expect to be broke in no time... his cagy opponents would fleece him on the turn and river betting rounds" - the idea in Ed Miller's book was that with small stakes no limit game, you have only enough money for the preflop and the flop betting, while with the big stacks you could bet the turn and the river (all four betting rounds are for the pros, cause they can fully use their skill oppose to all in on the flop play).

Having read all of that, it seems to me that the combination of skill and math (EV, implied odds, bet sizing, value betting...) gives more edge to the skillful player in a Limit game in the <u>short run</u>??? Key word is the short run.

I'm looking for the edge in the short run cause i'm not looking to be a pro player, rather just a part time home game winner, if that has any sense. I'm trying to find the edge in a 3-6 hour home game and was wondering if the Limit game is the game which gives me that edge?

Of course, if the short run concept in poker has any meaningful basis in reality?

Thank you all very much!!