Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2007, 01:21 AM

Default Re: Should Robert E. Lee be considered a war criminal?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Again, had the South won a military victory, many of these figures probably would have been tried as war criminals.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact you think this was even a remote possiblity shows a lack of understanding of the period. Had the CSA won the Civil War, it would have been a peace of equals. The North would have never surrendered; they would have simply stopped waging war against the South. The idea of Lincoln or Grant in CSA custody is farfetched to to the point of absurdity.

Having said that, yes, most Southerners thought Grant and Lincoln were butchers. But they never, ever would have faced trial in the south.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how you can keep reading this as me stating this is a feasible scenario. I am merely stating that if this had happened, (which it wouldn't have) those figures would have been (or may have been) prosecuted for the "invasion."

This was merely posited to allow some to get beyond the "oh my god, he's calling Robert E. Lee a war criminal" outrage and perhaps contribute their thoughts to the topic (as opposed to calling me the biggest moron they ever read).