Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-2007, 10:41 PM

Default Re: All of this christian bashing is so ignorant and stupid.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there is no "official" interpretation of the bible (unfortunately? probably fortunately).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... different sects/churches believe they have the correct interpretation. These differences have led to many schisms.

Personally, the fact that the Bible is so unclear and open to interpretation is further evidence AGAINST the Christian conception of God. Most decent writers could write a less confusing, contradictory and irrational book. Certainly the Christian God could deliver a message so clearly that we humans wouldn't all interpret it differently. And if understanding his word is so important, he'd certainly make it more clear.

That's my take at least.

[ QUOTE ]
but yes, i will agree with you that the bible (and christianity) is very VERY open to debate and interpretation. I don't see how this is always a bad thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not always... but bad often enough to be problematic. Can I have slaves or not? Do I need to spend my life hating gays? Should I kill heretics or not? Are women allowed to speak in Church or is this blasphemous?

[/ QUOTE ]

I cannot understand the difficulty in understanding this line of thinking that Kurto provided. Considering the importance of the message one would think GOD would make the message very clear. I'm sure a response will be "it was written by men" then GOD should have required a few rough drafts and he should have edited it before publishing. I'm really interested in Christians response to Kurto's original post (I'm still reading the thread so maybe I will). Tell me how you reconcile this with your faith.