Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Issues at 25c/50c up to 1/2 Stud Hi

After playing about 5K hands of StudHi at these levels a couple of things that I have noticed that I have questions/issues about....
Keep in mind i have come from the 2 card game [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

1) It seems that the variance swings in this game are pretty harsh, much more than HE at least on the surface. Granted i have been a losing player over these 5K hands but sessions (around 200 hands) have been around the 15-25BB loosing side or the 5-10BB winning side. I know i have been taking hands too far from the HHs, but is this game have more variance in general?
(Im thinking because we have to pay for EVERY card as it comes out it would seem on the surface that you will tend to loose more than you win on certain types of hands that you are drawing with or are not sure if they are good or not).

2) Im really starting to think that Im putting way too much value in 2 pair/1 pair hands. Split broadway pair, while it may be good on 3rd street loose a ton of value as the streets continue if they are not improved. Almost to the point that if you have 2 pair and there are callers, you should consider your hand beat w/o improvement.

3) How important is it to have a read on the player? In Limit HE for example, A read is less important than it is in NLHE.(At least at the 2/4 and 3/6 levels that I play at and the 50NL games). Solid card sense and the knowledge of the value of hands based on the board prevail at these levels. Should I pay more attention on the doorcards rather than if this player is trying to get sneaky on me?

I really like this game and really want to continue, but Im starting to abandon ship and go back to the game everyone knows....

Thx in advance for your help.