Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-23-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Tool

I just saw a post on "Tool the Greatest Band" but it was looked, so I thought of writing a post that would be Lounge worthy.

Tool is a band that is classified as progressive metal. Inspired by bands such as King Crimson, Tool experiments with music and makes albums that have a certain theme to them. They don't come out with albums often, they come out in intervals of about four years.
Their albums are:
Opiate
Undertow
Aenema
Salival (not exactly an album, they play past songs live)
Laterallus
10000 Days

I haven't heard the first two albums that much.
Aenema, Laterallus and 10000 Days are great albums. I think their greatness comes in that order.

Aenema ends with a trio of amazing songs "Push It", "Aenema" and "Third Eye". Aenema is in reference to a Bill Hicks joke about California disappearing from the world. Bill Hicks used to open for Tool sometimes with standup comedy. If you hear "Third Eye", there are some Bill Hicks jokes.

Laterallus besides being a great album has one of my favorite songs: "Reflection". "Reflection" is the middle of a series of three songs. I am not good at describing music so I won't try, but I recommend listening to that song.

10000 Days is their latest album, it came out in 2006. The title refers to the number of days the mother of the vocalist was in a wheelchair. In his other band "A Perfect Circle" in the song "Judith", the vocalist writes a song where he is mad at his mother for keeping her faith in a God that did that to her. In this album, the feeling is more of peace than of rage. The 2-part song "Wings of Marie" is wonderful.

I got to see Tool live in September and I enjoyed it a lot. They played mostly songs from their last album and some songs were marvelous to hear live. Watching the guitarist play Jambi was incredible. Also, the peace that was felt throughout the song "Wings of Marie" was memorable. Although the best part was when they played "Rosetta Stoned" since the vocalist made some very interesting things, he had a megaphone and a microphone and there were parts where he would use both at the same time. Apparently he got this idea from Mike Patton who does a lot of interesting vocal tricks.

If you haven't heard Tool but like bands like Pink Floyd and King Crimson I suggest you give this band a try.