Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2007, 04:58 PM

Default Fold Equity - A Couple of Questions

Hi guys,

I'm not a regular here, but I've come here because I respect the advice (don't let me down now!). I'm writing an article, which I'm hoping will be published in Inside Edge, about Fold Equity. There are a couple of things I'm not so sure about, but would like to get right.

1. Who came up with the term 'Fold Equity'? I've always assumed it was someone here at the 2+2 forums, and it must be fairly new because when I first started playing, nobody ever talked about it (and even the 'game theory expert' Chris Ferguson doesn't know what it is).

2. I'm a little stuck on the intricacies of the maths when it comes to a particular part of the article (I try not to get too bogged down in the maths, so I want to keep it simple).

My example centres around working out exactly how often we need our opponent to fold for a play to break even. The scenario is:

It's the last round of betting, and the pot is £100. Our opponent bets £50. We can raise all-in for £250 more, and for simplicity if our opponent calls, he'll always have us beat.

How much FE do we need to break even? How often does he need to fold for us to gain that equity?

I've worked it out myself, but basically I'd like to double check them before I submit the article.

Lastly, I'm making it a trend to include real life hands as examples illustrating the concept I'm discussing. So far I'm thinking about including some hands from this year's TOC, but if anybody knows any good examples of FE in action, preferably involving famous players, please share them.

Thanks for any help!