Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2007, 12:16 PM

Default settlement on a credit card

I've got a credit card that I've fallen behind on. It has gone to collections, and I know that there are options for settlements usually on these. When I asked the lady at the collections company about this, she basically told me that if I did this that it would hurt much worse than a payment in full. She also informed me to ignore the CC bills, and to pay them, as I would not be hit with interest or late charges now dealing with them, even though the CC bills will still show these things. I'm kind of confused...why would she not want to settle and be done with it, etc.? How bad would it look? I have really good credit, with the exception of this CC and another that I recently paid off in full (never been late on a car payment or my mortgage, or anything else, really until these items). Would trying to settle still be in my best interest, or would it be better to make payments to the collections company and pay it in full over the next 6-8 months as opposed to settling on something now?