Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2006, 10:39 AM

Default Biggest story of our time: our self-extinction by Mark Steyn

This article posted just before Christmas touches on a theme that has been discussed here before; that is the Western World isn't reproducing at a rate capable of sustaining population without massive immigration. The new film "Children of Men" portrays one version of the impact of a childless world.

Meanwhile you can look at this chart form the Wikipedia. Note that the birthrate needed to sustain population is 2.1 or so (at least in the Western World where we have good medicine). The United States, one of the least secular Western countries, has a stable birth rate. But look at some of the other advanced countries. Although I don't have strong faith in God these days it does seem that religion promotes fertility. And Secular Europe is getting less and less fertile. For example, look at the numbers for countries like Italy and Japan. Will Italians exist in Italy in fifty years? Will Japan finally start allowing immigrants?

Sitting in traffic on the 405 I doubt you would worry about this, but these numbers are scary. I hope to find the film Children of Men and see it soon.

Also found this Wiki on Sub Replacement Fertility

~ Rick