Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2006, 01:38 PM

Default Defending Against a Resteal with a Big Stack

I'd like to talk about defending against a resteal. I read the great strategy posts regarding how to and when to resteal but I've been looking for some ideas about when to fire back against what could possibly be a resteal. Specifically, what range of hands/stack size/position/reads make a call an option (I assume this is not optimal) or when is it appropriate to push back if you can, or just fold.

The following hand illustrates a time where i seriously consider defending against a resteal. This is the nightly FT $24 MTT. 1780 entrants and we are down to 55 players. I am currently 6th in chip stack for the entire tournament and have the biggest stack at my table.

I just stole the last two hands with A7 and K8. Of course, no one knows that because i took the blinds with 3x raises, but it's safe to say I can be viewed as aggressive. The villian who appears to be on a resteal is reasonably aggressive and has been playing as though he has knowledge of poker strategy. I think I even wrote a note that "steals are part of his toolbox".

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t1200/t2400
(Ante: t300)
8 players
Converter
Seat 1: Hero (94,364)
Seat 2: (34,456)
Seat 4: (64,653)
Seat 5: (81,836)
Seat 6: (40,934)
Seat 7: (46,948)
Seat 8: Villian (78,541)
Seat 9: (43,147)

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is MP2 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t7200</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to t24000</font>, BB folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero? </font>

I am in MP2 with a reasonable hand here. I've been stealing so they think I could be doing this with air. When he comes over me I'm thinking he be restealing with 22+, A10 +, KQ+.

With that range, I'm thinking he has to fold anything less than 1010+, AK to an all-in push. If I am right, there's a lot of fold equity here.

If he calls, I am 50/50 to AK but dominated by the big pairs.

I have actually done a pokerstove/EV calculation and plan on getting your thoughts on that (I am still learning how do these calculations) but would prefer to get your general ideas about defending to a resteal before getting mathematical.

So, what are your thoughts about defending to this resteal by pushing all-in? Should I go for it or do you lay down the hand here?