Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-24-2006, 01:40 AM

Default Re: Someone encourage me to finish Navarro\'s book

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I've kind of gone into this book with wrong mindset as I've never placed much value in tells (especially at the low to low-mid limits that I play).

[/ QUOTE ]

And you shouldn't, thats the problem with the book... the truth is that tells are a fraction of your decision process, yet Navaro doesn't really disclose that to the reader. True tells are the betting patterns of your opponents, put far more strength behind betting patterns than the way someone shakes their right foot.

I read this book months before it was released, I was sent a pre-release copy. Although I do admit its the beast treatment on the existence behind tells to date and its focus on observation is 100% correct, I think the books falls flat because the author's fundamental understanding of the game is flawed - reading tells does not make you an expert player, reading betting patterns and placing your opponent on a hand range does - and none of this is covered within the text. Therefore unless the reader is already highly skilled I cannot recommend it to a reader. Its a good book for the right consumer,unfortunately the right consumer is not the target audience.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]