Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2006, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Ask Imitation about 2years in China

[ QUOTE ]
Wait a second. Explain the economics of this teaching thing for a bit.
You make US$3000/mon to teach english in Guangzhou? And a rockstar party lifestyle costs US$2000?
Do I have to have any qualifications other than "native english speaker"?
Do I have to know any Chinese?

WTF am I still doing in America?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally I don't know any English teachers making $3000 a month in China. I'm guessing no official educational venue will pay you this much but there are plenty of English "learning camps" and other special tutoring classes which charge exorbitant amounts since parents are so crazy about thier kids learning English. Also private tutors to rich folks can earn a lot. When I was visiting family back in China a government official basically paid me $25/hr to hang out with his son twice a week and occasionally use some English. I was 14 and all we did was eat out/play vid games/goto amusement parks on dad's money and get chauffeured around with a government car.

2k a month will let you have a very baller lifestyle in most parts of China considering that is multiple times the average annual salary. Keep in mind that living expenses like rent/car payments/health insurance will be very cheap to non-existent compared to America. As long as you are not stupid with your money and manage to pay the same prices as locals when you go out, 2k will go pretty far in even the more expensive cities.