Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: WYR
100 papercuts on each eyelid 74 36.10%
2 inch nail under each big toenail 131 63.90%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2006, 08:35 AM

Default So Major League Baseball Players Are The Best Athletes?

It seems that under certain definitions, the answer is undeniable. In spite of the fact that almost none could compete in the decathalon or the old Superstars shows.

It has often been stated that the hardest thing in sports is hitting a 95mph pitch. But even aside from that I want to point out that three threads I started here add fuel to the argument.

1. Most people here think an NBA team could not beat a high school baseball team but they could beat a high school football team.

2. Most people here think mere blazing speed can overcome average athleticism if you want to play in the NFL. Clearly not enough for baseball.

3. Most people think that a mere foot in extra height can overcome average athleticism if you want to play in the NBA. Clearly almost irrelevant for baseball

I suppose I could also mention that even 15 Ohio State baseball players would have no chance against the Yankees (although that is a bit of unfair because of the importance of the pitchers).

Anyway the point is that unlike the other sports there is no one trait that encompasses enough of the game that inhuman ability in it is a through ticket to a baseball career. If you could train an orangutan to play football or basketball, he starts. But he doesn't even sit on the bench as a baseball player.