Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-11-2006, 04:05 AM

Default Too Much Information -where to start?

I don’t know exactly what I am hoping anyone can suggest (of course, if I knew what I wanted, I wouldn’t need you guys); but I basically am hoping that someone might have a list of suggested first steps, or a schedule or something that can get me started on improving my game. I have begun reading Dan Harrington’s first poker book (just today) and think a chapter a day is reasonable. There is so much information out there that I am feeling overwhelmed and not sure where to start.

For the past 3 years, I have been playing poker and; while I enjoy it quite a bit, have not been interested enough to want to read/study/practice it away from the tables. I am a mediocre (read: losing) player (down $600 over 3 years) and play micro to low level NL cash games (up to $1/2 but only rarely and usually only live), MTTs ($3-$10), and SNGs (same as MTT range). Recently, I have found myself unemployed (through no fault of my own – the company went out of business) and have gotten more into poker. I have been focusing on SNGs (mostly $5) lately and am down about $100 (10%) over the past 3 months. I like NL better than limit but don't always have the stomach for NL cash, so have turned to tournaments more and more. I have enjoyed it more than ever, though, and would like to turn my game around. I really hope someone can give me some suggestions.

Boyfriend has turned me on to PokerTracker and 2+2 and I have been trolling here for about a month or so. He also has lots of books on poker. My hope is that I can turn my game around enough in the next month without spending any money. I’m not looking for an extreme change, but just enough to become a winning player. I would like to make a little bit each week at first so that I can pay for new books or online tutor packages or whatever else I believe will improve my game.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have read the Hold’Em General and Gambling Beginners FAQs and they were not exactly what I was looking for. However, if there is another FAQ in another link, feel free to direct me to it.

Thanks
R-