Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2006, 04:50 PM

Default About to take a huge pay cut, worried about finances

A year and a half ago, I was happy working in my low-paying, sports-on-TV job, but I was concerned about providing for my new family, as I was engaged to be married.

So I quit my TV gig, got married, and went back to practicing law in Houston, as I had once before. Hated it the first time around but thought it would be okay this time, given a happy home life.

Terrible, terrible decision, as I've pretty much been miserable practicing law, especially when I think about what I left behind. A few months ago I decided to get back into TV, and now that my son has been born, I am sending out tapes all over the place, and I'm starting to get nibbles at different stations.

The problem is that the jobs I am qualified for are probably going to pay in the $30s or $40s (unless I get really lucky and score a much bigger market gig). This is going to be 1/3 or 1/4 as much as I am making now, and I'm really worried about making ends meet.

Before when I was in TV, it was just me, and I didn't care if I was broke. But now there's my wife and my son, and I don't want them to have to struggle. My wife and I had both hoped she wouldn't have to work for a few years, but I think it might be really bleak if we all try to live on, say, $3K a month gross.

My wife is being very supportive and truly wants me to be happy, and she's excited about our new adventure... but I can tell she's worried also. She is the best thing that's ever happened to me and we have a great marriage right now. I would be devastated if money problems caused us marriage problems.

I've truly considered just giving up on my dreams and staying with the conventional / well-paying gig, but I really think I'd be miserable doing that. So the trick is being able to keep my dreams alive, and do something I really enjoy, without making my wife miserable in the process.

Any suggestions on how to make this situation easier or better?