FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Where do you live?
USA 243 72.54%
Other 92 27.46%
Voters: 335. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2006, 05:30 PM

Default Re: To Catch a Predator: Creating Crime

I think the ACers in this thread should know that what PJ used to do was catch people chatting with their decoys, post the chatlog to their site, determine through various means the target's (PJ called them "busts") real identity, and then engage in a massive community notification campaign against the bust (called "follow up"). They didn't go to the police unless police contacted them first.

I don't see where in the realm of AC theory this behavior on the part of PJ would be discouraged. In fact, I would guess that in the absence of the state, such watchdog groups would be ubiquitous and would cover everything from this sort of thing to rude driving.

Gradually, PJ's mode of operation changed. First there was "Information First", an agreement where select police departments were notified if PJ made a "bust" in their jurisdiction. Then they started doing "group media busts" with TV stations. I guess this gave them the exposure they needed to work with police directly. Now that working with police is a full-time job, they don't even bother with the community-oriented follow-up anymore until after they secure a conviction and the bust is released from jail.

I also guess that PJ's administration was concerned that their former ways could get them into legal trouble, though no lawsuits ever "stuck." But that's only a guess--they don't actually appear too concerned about legal ramifications, at least publicly. One guy in Minnesota tried to get follow-up stopped by filing a restraining order, but that was unsuccessful, as you can't file a restraining order against specific people behind PJ when it's really thousands of other people doing the work. Ingenious, really.

The other funny thing is that most of the administration of PJ, including the founder, Xavier von Erck, claim to be minarchist libertarians.