Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2006, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Im thinking of taking up bartending....

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just cutting and pasting my reply to the last guy who asked the question:

You will have a really tough time getting a decent job unless you are a big Abercrombie type guy. Most of the popular and high-end places hire based almost entirely on looks.

There is no such thing as a "bartending license." These courses will teath you how to make drinks and be a good bartender but the certification is useless in helping you to find a job. Again, you will have a lot of trouble finding a job unless you have big [censored] or are a big meathead guy.

I worked as a bartender for about a year in a private club (a club for rich people, not the fun kind). If you really want to work as a bartender, concentrate on golf clubs, non-trendy restaurants, college bars, etc.

Working as a barback can help you get a job but can often hurt your prospects. Barbacks are promoted only rarely because, while there is an unending supply of qualified bartenders, a good barback is much harder to find, especially if you know the place and its system.

PM me if you want more info RE bartending school and the job market.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing you live in LA? I disagree with you about the barback thing, as most of the people I know who bartend started there, but it may be true in bigger cities like LA or NYC.