Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-29-2006, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Girl Can\'t Name All the Continents?!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think memorizing random crap should be necessary?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, what's so "random" about the 7 continents? Maybe we should ask something less random like what the capital of your home state is or what planet you live on instead. I'm sorry, but I can't imagine why a COLLEGE BOUND STUDENT wouldn't know the 7 continents. It's not like you're asking some random Joe off the street.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's random in that it's completely useless information for virtually everyone. I'm a senior in college and I've never had to name all the continents. I sure as hell won't have to name them all once I'm done with school.

I know them because it's just common knowledge, but there's a lot of other common knowledge that's also completely useless. Capital of Wisconsin, do you know it? Does it matter? No, it definitely does not unless you happen to be a congressman from Wisconsin or something.

What if I asked you to name all the countries that used to be part of the USSR, could you do it? Do you feel good about yourself if you can or bad if you can't? Do you think it matters in the slightest whether or not you could? Unless you're a Russian diplomat or work at a Euroasian hedge fund or something equally specific, it really doesn't matter. Same with the continents, they just happen to be easier to know because they're more commonly taught.