Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2006, 06:24 PM

Default Using Sit-And-Go Tournaments as a training tool to improve MTT skills

Hi All,
I've been thinking about some things I can do to improve my MTT play. As everyone knows, different games place value on different types of skills.

For example:

- Shorthanded games (6-max and Heads-Up) tend to emphasize aggression & hand-reading

- Deep-Stacked games tend to emphasize post-flop play, position, and pot-control

- Sit-and-Go's tend to emphasize aspects of bubble-play (Fold-Equity, calculating calling-ranges, Chip Equity, prize pools)

I'm merely stating some examples, as this isn't intended to be all-inclusive.

To me, it seems obvious that increased proficiency in Shorthanded & Deepstacked games will help to improve MTT performance. However, I can't say for certain that added proficency in Sit-and-Go tournaments would help. Although there are also many elements to bubble play in an MTT, they differ significantly from a Sit-and-Go.

I'd like feedback, as to whether or not you believe that participating in Sit-and-Go's can help to improve MTT performance? Perhaps, at the very least, it can get you in the right frame of mind, with regard to thinking about bubble-play and the end-game (though the strategies differ).

Thanks in advance!