Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2006, 06:28 AM

Default Did God Put Ancient Earthquakes On Faults?

Since an omnipotent God can disobey any law of physics at a drop of a hat ,and since some believe he does in fact "intervene" if he sees something he dislikes, I have this question about earthquakes. It is sparked by a poster on the SMP forum named Not Ready who tries mightily to remain theistic without contradicting science. He claims that nowadays God does few if any of the big miracles like he did in biblical days. But he thinks earthquakes could be an exception. Especially given the fact that most earthquakes seem to be striking non Christian countries. (The fact that even in these cases there are undoubtedly a lot of Christian innocent victims is off this subject.)

Meanwhile Not Ready and many others claim that miracles of this sort are done by God within the laws of science. Not because he is forced to do them that way, but rather because he needs people to have faith in his existence even without irrefutable evidence. Like a major earthquake far away from a fault. (I'm assuming that never happens. If I'm wrong, please don't quibble. The general point I'm getting at still applies.)

So my question is were old time earthquakes that human science will never be able to investigate always on faults? And there is another question. Suppose there are some miscreants who deserve an earthquake now but don't live on a fault. Are we to assume thyat God used his omnipotence to forsee their sins and planned out the appropriate faults billions of years ago to punish them appropriately while still fooling the geologists?