Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2006, 04:24 AM

Default Im not doing as well at HU SNG\'s as I thought I would

Ive recently started playing at stars and Ive been playing a lot of there 1100, 2200, and 5500 hu sngs. Before this, I played almost exclusively cash games, mostly HU. Ive been a solid winner up to 100/200 NL, and Ive taken a few successful shots at the 200/400 hu game on prima, although I am not quite on the same level as the regulars there.

In the HU sngs, I seem to do just fine when the blinds are relatively small (10/20 and 15/30, with 75 and 50 bbs respectively). It seems that more often than not after these 2 levels I have a chip lead on my opponent. However, I think I lose my edge when the blinds go up. Playing shortstacked is a foreign concept to me. I really dont know how to handle preflop situations with 10bbs a piece. Currently, Ive been min raising preflop from the button a decent amount, depending on my opponents tendancies. It doesnt really seem to be working. I seem to either get run over by my opponent pushing over the top of my raises a lot, or put my money in 40-60. I dont really have a statistically significant sample size to make that statement, as poker with ten bbs seems to have a lot of variance, but thats my initial impression.

What Im looking for is concrete advice on general strategy when you and your opponent both have roughly 1500 chips and the blinds are 50-100 and higher. Preferrably, Id like to hear from people who play these stakes or at least close to them, but I dont think a whole lot of those people frequent this forum. If someone reads this who does conistently beat these stakes, I would also be really interested in some private coaching, maybe just an hour or two. I would be willing to either pay cash (I could match your hourly poker rate or whatever you want) or exchange the favor with cash game hu advice, which I think I am pretty qualified to give.

-Evan