Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-26-2006, 01:31 PM

Default getting \'free\' money from your 401k

so i posted this in 'other other topics' but i think its more applicable here

okay, so i'm not sure this is the best place to post this, if its not, i'm sorry.

my company matches 50% on my 401k, so if i put in $10,000 the company puts in $5,000.

say i make $50,000/yr. in a year, if put 10K into my 401k, the company will match 5k. So for that year, i was taxed on 40k (the 401k investment isn't taxed). after this year, i have 15,000 in the 401k. (forget about growth/interest).

lets say the next year i do the same thing, i put in 10k, the company matches 5k. but also, at the end of the year, i take OUT from the 401k, 15,000. so my income this next year is 40,000 + 15,000 = 55,0000. my understanding is that i am taxed on my withdrawals from the 401k as if it was added income.

So is this a fool proof method to get an extra 5k of income (3k or so after taxes) every year? the only problem is it you're sorta lagged behind by a year due to the initial investment you need to start this?

and yes i know i'm better off saving the money for 30 years in the 401k. but pretend long term saving isn't my goal, and i'd much rather have more spending money year to year. this is basically just a way to get the 50% company match into my own hands, lagged one year.

thoughts?