Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-22-2006, 10:25 PM

Default Motivation to play gone

Over the past 2 years or so I've played a fair amount of hands, maybe 500K per year. Nothing too huge as I don't play for a living, just casually, but when I do play I normally multitable (at least 4 tables).

Anyway, over the past few years I have played at every big and medium site there is (mostly low limit, .5/1, 1/2, and finally some 2/4).

The thing was, I always played with some sort of bonus or promotion behind me. It gave me a goal, something I felt I was working towards and also provided me a saftey net, aka I almost couldn't "lose", even if I ran bad, I'd come out even or ahead after the bonus or promo.

Well the days of easy poker bonuses are dead and alot of the good bonus type sites have closed their doors to U.S. customers. As a result I have barely played at all in the last 2 months.

But the thing of it is, I'm a modestly profitable player (1.5 BB'ish / 100) so therefore playing should be a goal unto itself, aka I can make $ through playing by itself, no bonus needed.

However without the "goal" of a bonus to clear and the saftey of knowing I'll be withdrawing at least what I put into a site, my desire to play is 0.

Advice/thoughts/questions/flames?