Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2006, 12:03 PM

Default is the Wii controller a novelty?

ok, so I have a Wii, and so far I love it. But some part of me is wondering if the novelty of the Wiimote/nunchak will wear off.

Some thoughts I've had:

Wii Sports does a great job of showing the potential of the Wiimore and nunchak. However, the long term playability of these games is low imho, as the depth of what you can do with the controlls is pretty low. What most excites me is how good some of these games could be IF they were fully fleshed out "real" games.

For instance, Boxing. I think this could be one of the best possible applications for Wii. But the graphics and overall control/game interface need a lot of work.

Tennis: again, this could be a sweet game if fleshed out. Obviously you need to be able to control the players, and again I think the overall depth of the game needs to be improved.

Baseball: needs a lot of work imho. All you do is control the speed of pitches. If they could somehow change this, as well as controlling fielders, the game could be good.

Bowling: replay value low imho.

1st person shooters: I think these can rule on the Wii. It's so much more intuitive than an analog aiming device.

Zelda: I love it, but some part of me also thinks the swordplay is meh. I mean, is shaking the Wiimote and nunchak that much different than pressing buttons? Yeah, it's better, but I don't think it's night and day - I think what they really need to do is make the swordplay much more freeform, and when that happens, that's like "WOW this is really something different".

Basically, I think for the Wii to be the lead console in this gen, they need to get far beyond what they have done with Wii Sports and the early releases. These games are fine for casual gamers, but these people aren't going to buy $300 worth of stuff for Wii Sports. Zelda is great, but that's b/c it's Zelda and also b/c of the shooting - I don't think it's nec. b/c of the controls. Nintendo still needs to produce games for all segments.

Back to my original point in this rambling post: I think the controls will be a novelty in most games unless Nintendo does more with them. But I think they can, and I'm excited for the potential.