Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2006, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Trent Lott\'s Comeback

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not even sure how Democrats could say something similar, but if Democrats say something like "Robert Byrd should have never left the KKK and run for President -- if he had done that, we'd have proudly voted for him, and we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years" at Robert Byrd's farewell party, then you may have a point. If they do that, I'll gladly condemn the Democrats with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

A few years ago Democratic Senator Chris Dodd said the following about a Robert Byrd, who, of course, was a KKK member and oppossed many civil rights bills:

"I do not think it is an exaggeration at all to say to my friend from West Virginia that he would have been a great senator at any moment. He would have been right at the founding of this country. He would have been in the leadership crafting this Constitution. He would have been right during the great conflict of Civil War in this nation."

Dodd thought that a former KKK member would have been a good leader during the Civil War. You can make a good case that those comments were just as bad as anything Lott said about Strom. If not, why not?

There is a reason why Dodd's remarks did not generate much outrage: the media virtually ignored it. Compare that to the attention they gave Lott's remarks.