Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-01-2006, 03:46 PM

Default Re: 30 million just to negotiate with Matsuzaka? WTF?

[ QUOTE ]

Though if it leads to something like this I will enjoy it. Quoted from Buster Onley Blog on ESPN

"The Orioles could post a huge bid -- say $50 million -- and blow everybody else out of the water. With exclusive negotiating rights, they then could offer Matsuzaka a take-it-or-leave-it minimum bid, like a six-year, $6 million deal. Matsuzaka and agent Scott Boras, with just 30 days to negotiate and with no ability to generate a competing bid from another major league team, would have the stark choice of taking the Orioles' lowball offer or remaining in Japan."

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard this discussed before in other forums, but always by random posters not people supposedly in the know. I really don't think this will happen. If teams start doing this the whole system breaks down.

I think that it explicitly states in the agreement between MLB and the Japan baseball league that the winning team must negotiate in good faith. I think that the commisioner's office of MLB wants this system to work and if it was clear that a team was delibrately trying to screw it up they could be penealized. From what I read elsewhere (USS mariner which is down right now or I would post a link) Bud Selig really does not want this to happen and will try to stop it.