Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-29-2006, 03:17 AM

Default OT: Trip Report: Saturday MTT at the Orleans

So Irieguy calls me yesterday to try to get me out of the house, given my never-ending STT woes. I agree to join him at the Orleans Saturday multi, which is now a $60+$40 add-on. We didn't want to play higher given that I am effectively BUSTO, and that he was on call.

He gave the 411 to Dominic and stupidsucker, who joined us at the Asian restaurant at the Orleans pre-tournament. Dom told us about the grand opening of the Playboy Club here in town, and how he danced with Nicky Hilton without realizing who she was. Then stupidsucker showed us a Chinese fortune he had gotten which said "Do not try to push the river." [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

So, armed with that wisdom, we headed over to the tournament. Irieguy had bought me in already, and gallantly offered to stake me. However, negotiations bogged down over the split. He wanted 70-75% and I was going no higher than 50%. So I figured that things like food and rent aren't all that important and paid him back the Benjamin.

The others did a $20 last-longer, but I opted out. Irieguy said I was a fool because he and Dom were highly likely to bust out first because they are LAGs. Which turned out to be correct, although Irieguy went out on a bad beat, when he got called into work. We did do a 10% saver, though, between the four of us.

Anyway, the tournament was full of very loose idiots, as usual, and I was card dead, as usual. I managed to win a grand total of 3 pots in three hours, which got me to the final two tables (90 runners started). Meanwhile, stupidsucker had busted out as well. Then I started pushbotting and built up an OK stack. The blinds caught up, though, and I found myself sitting in the SB with an M of a little under 4, 12 players left (10 paid).

Button, who had been bullying, raises it up. I find A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and have a pretty easy reshove. But the BB calls, with just under my stack size. Button decides to call as well.

Flip them over. BB has QJo (moron) and button has KJo, no hearts for either one. Bricked flop, turn gives me a flush draw, so they are down to five outs total between them.

The offsuit J hits on the river.

Out on the bubble, 11th place, instead of to the final table in 4th or so. To a five-outer on the river. Which is exactly how I've busted out of the majority of my STTs over the past three months.

I seriously doubt there is a poker player in the history of the universe who has been more cursed on the river then I am right now. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

That's all, folks. Bummer it had to end on a bad beat, but that's standard of course.