Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-24-2006, 03:18 PM

Default Response from my Representative

I received this today in my email...looks like a form letter

Thank you for contacting me to express your opinions about the Unlawful Internet Gambling
Enforcement Act (H.R. 4411). I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

While I understand your concerns about government regulation of this industry, I believe it's
important to keep in mind that financial transactions taking place over the internet can have a
serious impact on our nation's economic and national security interests.

Unregulated gambling websites have the ability to send American dollars out of the U.S. and into
the hands of unknown, sometimes untraceable recipients. These types of transactions expose the
financial services industry to the possibility of criminal and terrorist activity, and make U.S.
citizens vulnerable to fraud, identify theft, and other personal scams.

In addition, internet gambling hurts families, and causes debt collection problems for banks and
the consumer credit industry. The added cost of their efforts to collect on gambling debt is
ultimately passed on to consumers like you.

On Saturday, September 30 of this year, the House and Senate passed this measure as part of the
port security conference report, H.R. 4954. It prevents the use of credit cards, wire transfers, or
any other bank instrument to fund gaming transactions. The bill was signed into law by the
President on October 13, 2006.

While we may not agree on the outcome of this bill, I do hope that we can find some common ground
on other important issues affecting our nation and the State of North Carolina. For more
information on what I am doing for you in Congress, visit www.myrick.house.gov and sign up for my
eNewsletter.

Sincerely,

Sue Myrick
Member of Congress