Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-2006, 09:39 PM

Default Re: The age of horrorism

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
His novel Time's Arrow is utterly fantastic. Dynamite. Amazing. Awesome.

So, yeah, I liked it.

As for the OP, his first two points are what I have been saying for years. Aside from my personal feelings that democracy is an inherently bad thing, what kind of government do you think will be elected by a population that practice a religion base around religios law and government? And second, the only way to hold together 3 cultures who hate each other is either through armed and continuous millitary occuptation (like the British did it) or through iron-fisted totalitarianism, ala Saddam. Why SHOULD three cultures who hate each other be forced into the same state? It's like a recipe to ensure that the maximum possible number of people hate the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong but didnt the South and North in the U.S. fail to get along at one point? If I recall correctly, I believe there were some doins and shufflin about because of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely my point. One part of the country wanted to (peacefully) go their own way, the other launched a bloody military invasion and conquest, installed and ruled via muliple (highly corrupt) military dictatorships and puppet governments, with the result that one ethnic group bore the brunt of another's violent resentment for over a century.

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that there are always a ton of people who tell you why you can't do something. They are always bitching and whining when anyone tries something even remotely difficult. I am not speaking about you but all the uppity pundits who write about such things.

Maybe Iraq ends in disaster. Maybe it was a terrible idea in the first place. But, the idea of getting rid of corrupt dictators who oppress their people and then replacing those dictators with democracy and freedom is a fight worth having.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it isn't. You've totally ignored the OP.

Just to make this perfectly clear, imagine a country run by a brutal dictator. But the majority of the populace are only slightly less brutal relgious fanatics of three different sects who each believe in their own supremacy and the righteousness of the supremacy of their religious law and the subjugation of the other two sects.

What do you believe will be the result of installing democracy in such a country?

Note that I am not claiming that this is the exact case in Iraq; I am using an extreme example where the consequences are clear to make a point.