Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-31-2006, 01:00 PM

Default $11 ITM strategy

I feel like I lose the "selectively" to go with "aggressive" once I get ITM. I guess I've kind of built up a strategy, and I'm not sure whether it makes any sense anymore. All comments appreciated.

In general: I find myself fold to any raise where I'm OOP, and any non-minraise when I'm in position, unless I have a tremendous hand. When I don't cave, I end up all-in and it seems the $11ers always have a hand.

From button: I find that I am very tight as the small or midstacks, but raising with KT+, A6+, 22+, QJ if I'm the bigstack. I almost never limp from the button.

From the SB, I'm probably open-raising top 40% and open-completing with bottom 60%. I find that if I complete, I can frequently lead the flop and steal the pot that way. I like to mix up these two different types of steals. I very, very rarely open-fold from the SB 3-handed. If the button limps, however, I'm folding a large percentage of the time. I hate giving up 1/2 a BB, but I don't want to get in a 3-way pot where I'll be outkicked. It'd take a really strong hand for me to raise the button.

From the BB: I'll occasionally raise the SB's completion if blinds aren't too high in relation to stacks, but I rarely do the same to a button's limp cuz I'm OOP if he calls. If the button limps, I sometimes check and lead the flop, hoping he missed, stealing OOP like I do from the SB.

It all looks kind of formulaic. I guess that's bad, but I don't have a lot of fear that the donks at the $11s would catch on. My ITM play just doesn't last that long, and it's different than bubble play and HU play. The problem I run into is it seems I steal a few blinds, and then attempt to steal and I'm played back at. I either give it up, or by that point we're all-in with a dominating hand.

I know this is all vague, and I'm sorry about that. Rereading through my post, it looks like I'm not stealing enough from the button, and too much where I'm OOP. Thoughts? Who thinks I'm probably too loose ITM, or too weak to resteals?