Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-31-2006, 11:48 AM

Default Lateral Moves

Background: the Vp who hired me retired last summer. Guy they brought in to replace him announced that he was going to create a Director level position within our group, and that he was "going outside the organization" to fill it. I'm the group manager, so this effectively stymied my advancement here. I've been with this firm for 4 years.

So I've interviewed for a couple of jobs, none of which was a decent fit - either too long a commute (I do 60 miles each way right now, about 90 minutes each way, which is the most I can tolerate), or uninteresting technology, or unappealing roles, etc.

So a recruiter contacted me and pitched a manager-level job at the largest firm in my field in Massachusetts. Even though it's a lateral move, it would be a little more money, a mere 13 miles from my house, and the technology is very cool. My staff would be smaller, with just 3 direct reports, but they will all be at the same site (currently I have people at three plants on the east coast).

I do want to keep my career progressing, but this gig is attractive even though I wouldn't be getting any more stripes. So what's the OOT perspective on lateral moves? Good, bad, meh?