Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2006, 09:24 AM

Default KQs in MP1 at late stage of tourney.

This is my 1st MTT post, so I hope that its sufficiently interesting and not too basic. (I have just started playing tourneys.)

This was the final on-line satellite (Pacific Poker) for an EPT tourney in Dublin. 1st place won $8,000 package to the tourney & 2nd place won about $1,800.

269 players began ($40 + $4) with t2000. 18 players were now left with an average stack size of ~ t30,000. (I qualified from an earlier satellite.)

Blinds were t1500/t3000 and 9 players at my table. (Sorry that I cant use converter at moment.)

Here is the action and stack sizes:

UTG - t27,180 : Folds
UTG+1 - t43,509 : Folds
HERO - t34,254 : K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ???
MP2 - t34,686
MP3 - t18,327
CO - t32,272
BTTN - t29,112
SB - t35,854
BB - t 9,230

Shortly before this hand I had been low on chips (M of ~ 5) and so I had made a few all in moves, and trebled up holding JJ.

Now my stack size was a little bit above average, and I was not too desperate to make a move without a decent hand.

The players at this table seemed to be playing sensibly and showing down reasonably good starting hands if going all-in.

I probably had a conservative image, until I had gone all in a few times, but the hands I had shown down had been quite strong.

My question is how good a hand do you think KQs is in this position, late in a tournament? I was in MP1, which seemed to be just about good enough to me to open with a raise.

What do you think? Would you fold, call or raise? If you raise, then how much would you raise?

Could you also please explain the reasons for whatever action you would take?