Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2006, 01:32 PM

Default Love it or Leave it

In the PD thread, IMO almost every ACist donned love it or leave it attire as a solution to problem people. Since ACists often dismiss this type of arguement when dealing with governments, the ACist possition is severly diminished if the market solution is of type love it or leave it.

ACist
[ QUOTE ]
The threat of moving to another neighborhood would have a much greater impact on a business then moving to another country would have to the state.

[/ QUOTE ]

ACist [ QUOTE ]
Anyone who doesn't like the steroid ban does not have to participate. They can in fact form their own leage where steroid use is still allowed, if they like the results more than they dislike the consequences.

[/ QUOTE ]

a-ACists
[ QUOTE ]
That would depend on the size of the business. Anyway, what happened to "I don't have to move if I don't like the lawn mowing service"? I thought love it or leave it was a statist argument, not an AC one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leagues, orginaztion, governments, and businesses all attemp to exhibit influence, coercion, or force, on those that oppose it. If someone is getting ripped off by thier government, sports league, standard local service, or employer, the abilty, and resources needed to overpower the Big Brother is only a right in one of them. The ACist took the position that the government is non-volontary, where the league, standards local service is volontary. This is not true, they are voluntary in the same way that you voluntarily are stuck to the earth. Very few people have the resources needed to reach the escape velocity of leagues, governments, or standard local services influences. Borodog, I believe, works as a professor at a state funded university. Explain to me why he doesn't just start his own uni? After all it's the solution that ACists recommend. Don't like the league, form your own. Don't like the defense, the market will provide a good one. Getting treated inhumanly by your employer start your own business.

The thing wrong here is love it or leave it is not a solution to wrongs in society, it's a solution to peoples freedoms, and preferences. A solution to probelm people, those pesky ones the actually think they know a better way. We should be listening to the ideas of anyone that we want to say "love it or leave it" to, as they often will have a valid problem that hasn't been solved, or addressed.