Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2006, 05:12 PM

Default One more thing about the 270 days

There have been a number of interesting posts lately about how the legislation probably won't actually stop anyone from depositing or withdrawing from the sites. I tend to believe that's almost definitely right.

But even if it weren't, my guess is that it'll still be at least 18 months or more before banks stop blocking any transactions. First, as I've mentioned in other posts, I'd be somewhat surprised if the Fed actually managed to promulgate final regs within the 270 days "mandated" by the statute. But also, unless the banking industry has been lying about the technological and other difficulties associated with screening transactions, and/or the Fed comes up with some miraculous way to allow the screening to happen, the regs almost certainly won't require transactions to be blocked for some time (6 months+), in order to allow banks to develop the necessary technology and processes and implement whatever rules the Fed comes up with.

Right now, I'm not too concerned about the financial transaction side of things. I'm more concered with the possibility that the government will seek to block access to the sites altogether. And then my next biggest concern is simply that misinformation about the legislation will scare away players and the remaining player base will become so diffused across sites that it will become harder to find the number of games, particularly at the mid- and high- limits, that we've enjoyed in the last year or so.